[lsb-discuss] [packaging] RFC: Berlin Packaging API

Sam Hart criswellious at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 07:54:46 PST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> <robert.schweikert at mathworks.com> wrote:
>
> >  question is how hard would it be to teach dpkg and rpm to deal with more
>  >  than one db? And of course whether or not such a code change would be
>  >  accepted by the rpm and deb maintainers.
>
>  Unlikely.  Best forget this fantasy.

IMHO, something like this would be best suited in a higher level wrapper.

My personal opinion is that the underlying package management systems
are thin and should be kept thin. Adding this type of functionality
could needlessly bloat them.

Then again, we may be straying from the original simple Berlin API. In
fact, the original Berlin API would allow a wrapper like the one we're
talking about here to be made.