[lsb-discuss] Registering an application for a mimetype for all users (system-wide)

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Thu Jan 3 10:29:16 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 02:00:50PM +0530, Gaurav Khurana wrote:

> Am trying to register myapplication (by running the xdg-mime as root) for a mimetype for all users but it only registers it for root.
>
> Command used:
> $ xdg-mime default myapplication.desktop mimetype
>
> I've also exported the variable XDG_UTILS_INSTALL_MODE=system but no effect.
>
> The xdg-mime manual for default option says:
> The default option is for use inside a desktop session only. It is not
>     recommended to use xdg-mime default as root
>
> Any help on how can I register myapplication as a default
> application a particular mimetype (or a set of mimetypes) for all
> users (system-wide)?

Hi Gaurav,

	Per the xdg-mime documentation, if you run xdg-mime as root,
and/or if you explicitly give it the "--mode system" option, it will
register a particular mimetype for all users system-wide.  Note that
some system administrators may consider this to be an unfriendly thing
to do if an application installer were to do this without first asking
permission.

	Regards,

						- Ted