[lsb-discuss] question on missing zcat command

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Thu Jan 3 22:40:19 PST 2008

In trying to complete the spec work on bug 1668,
to allow gunzip and zcat to be scripts as well
as symlinks or hard links (the latter two are the
requirement placed by FHS, but no longer matches
the current implementation in the upstream gzip pkg),
I noticed that zcat is omitted from the LSB entirely.
I don't believe this is intentional.  zcat is in
the Command table in the database, it is always
provided by the gzip package, and there's a manual
page in the specification directory.  And we have
test cases for it in the lsb-test-core, which is
where the bug came from in the first place.

I modified the manual page happily before noticing
the changes didn't show up in the regenerated spec -
because there was nothing to change! The command is
not mentioned in the ModCmd join table which
associates a command with the module it belongs to,
and is the way a command is actually included or
excluded.

What should we do here?