[lsb-discuss] question on missing zcat command

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Fri Jan 4 06:38:53 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 10:40:19PM -0800, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> I noticed that zcat is omitted from the LSB entirely.
> I don't believe this is intentional.  zcat is in
> the Command table in the database, it is always
> provided by the gzip package, and there's a manual
> page in the specification directory.  And we have
> test cases for it in the lsb-test-core, which is
> where the bug came from in the first place.
>
> I modified the manual page happily before noticing
> the changes didn't show up in the regenerated spec -
> because there was nothing to change! The command is
> not mentioned in the ModCmd join table which
> associates a command with the module it belongs to,
> and is the way a command is actually included or
> excluded.
>
> What should we do here?

Is there a reason _not_ to add zcat to the database?  Your assessment
seems to be correct; this was probably an accidental omission, and the
fact that we have test cases and a man page in the specification
direction seems that the only thing we need to do is update database...

BTW, where are we in terms of needing to provide an update to the ISO
PAS specification, and/or providing erratas for ISO spec.  Yes, that's
a lower priority item, but if it's easy for us to pay attention to
that bit of housekeeping we might as well do it...

	  	  	     	      	    - Ted