[lsb-discuss] Coder for a new driver?

Theodore Tso tytso at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 25 06:52:13 PST 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 10:41:35AM +0000, Robert Pawlowicz wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Our office runs Debian on all our machines. We are purchasing a bunch of
> Zebra label printers to stream-line our manufacturing processes. However
> Zebra drivers for Linux are very thin on the ground.

I would second Mat's suggestion to check out the Open Printing site.
It looks like a number of the Zebra printers are supported, including
MD-1000, MD-1300, MD-1500, MD-2000, MD-2010, MD-2300, MD-4000,
MD-5000, and MD-5500.  Whether or not they are supported by your
distribution may be a different matter, and whether you have the
correct package loaded is a different one.

Of course, this is only a low-level print driver.  If you are looking
for a fancy GUI program that lets you format a label, or given a list
of mailing addresses, print labels for them all, that's a slightly
different matter.  What Windows users something considers "drivers",
and what a Linux kernel developer or the Linux world considers a
"driver" are sometimes different and I don't want to make any
assumptions about what you meant by the word.

Regards,

						- Ted