[lsb-discuss] Ways for us to work more efficiently

Sam Hart criswellious at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 07:05:37 PST 2008

On 1/24/08, Wichmann, Mats D <mats.d.wichmann at intel.com> wrote:
<snip>
> We absolutely need a getting started page.  We had one (I know
> this because I "got it started" when the lsb-desktop team was
> forming), and I'm darned if I know where it went to.
> In general, the wiki is apallingly stale, and I assert that
> at least part of the reason is that it's now too hard to use,
> so you don't get the same level of "drive-by updates" that we
> used to - the whole purpose of a wiki.

One of the things I think would help us here is something I've brought
up on the conference calls in passing before (but we've been too busy
with 3.2 to really focus much time on it). I'm of the opinion that we
should adopt some of the formalism that other wikis have in
categorization of pages on the site. I took a baby-step in that
direction when I added the Stub template (and, surprisingly, others
have been using it since I added it:
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Category:Article_stubs) but I think
more needs to be done.

A bit more discipline in categorizing things and placing things that
are being worked on and need updating as {{stub}} can really help not
only full-time LSB people know what on the site needs help with, but
also non LF/LSB people who are willing to help.

Granted, I don't know *exactly* what we need to adopt from other
wikis, beyond {{stub}} and some ancillary help I've done with other
wiki maintenance in the past, I don't have much hands-on experience
with the specifics of wiki categorization templates. I just know that
they help elsewhere.

>  The authentication
> mechanism is extremely slow (e.g. it takes several minutes for
> me to complete a login), and for some reason nobody has ever
> explained to me it times out your login very frequently.

Actually, David helped me there. I no longer time out with my wiki
login, nor do I ever need to log in again (I'm remembered between
sessions). Let me search my IRC logs and I can point you to the fix in
IRC.