[lsb-discuss] Java

Robert Schweikert robert.schweikert at mathworks.com
Wed Jan 30 09:15:04 PST 2008

In hopes of helping whomever will re-write the Java page here is my
recollection about the current state of affairs.

Option 1.) Pick a JVM/JDK (Sun, IBM, etc.) and bless it by inclusion
into the LSB
The advantage is we will have one implementation that is part of the LSB
and apps depending on Java know it will be there when running on an LSB
certified distro.

A big disadvantage is that we have to pick one and therefore we will
create an impression of having chosen a winner of the Java
implementation. We also have the problem of having to pick different
"winners" for different platforms, for example on x86 we use Sun's
implementation, but IBM hardware we need to use IBM's implementation.
Further we will run into app vendor issues with this approach. App
vendors pick their favorite JVM and ship it, and just because the LSB
now has a JVM a vendor is not going to just drop their favorite
implementation.

Option 2.) Get LSB to the point where any Java vendor can certify their
implementation.
We will not appear to be picking a "winner" if we go this route, a big
plus. Further this option addresses the app vendor favorite Java
implementation as they can continue shipping the JVM they want. We also
do not have to worry about different implementations for different
platforms. In short this option addresses all the disadvantages of the
first option.

The big hurdle for this option is that we will have to do a lot of leg
work to convince Java implementers (JVM/JDK providers) to certify their
implementation. This will probably not be easy.

Robert

--
Robert Schweikert                       MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
(robert.schweikert at mathworks.com)                 LINUX