[lsb-discuss] Java

George Kraft gk4 at austin.ibm.com
Thu Jan 31 13:48:27 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 16:12 -0500, Scott Baeder wrote:
> But on this, isn't the whole purpose of LSB to establish a BASE that
> we (the ISV's) can count on and assume is present?

The JRE is a cross-platform runtime environment.  The LSB specifies the
GNU/Linux runtime environment (eg., shared libraries and commands).
Specifying Java is so large that it would be a project by itself.
Fortunately, Sun is the steward of Java so ISVs should be giving
requirements to them.  :-)

If the LSB were to successfully specify and test Java, then that would
only help ISVs move their applications from Linux distribution A to
Linux distribution B.  There would be no guarantee to move a Java
application from Windows to Linux; however, getting Microsoft to run an
LSB certified JRE would be fun to see.

Before we discuss the academics of this endeavor further, I think the
LSB should ask the LF's legal counsel about the implications of stepping
on Sun's toes.  :-)  We might be getting all worked up over something we
are not permitted to work on.

--
George (gk4)