[lsb-discuss] Java

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Jan 31 13:47:59 PST 2008

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, George Kraft wrote:

... snip ...
> Secondly, is Java relevant any longer?  Are new applications that would
> have been written in Java are now being written in Web 2.0/AJAX or
> Eclipse?

wow -- what a question;  clearly in the financial markets
space, there is a huge Java standalone application presence
(FOSS and proprietary FIX engines
[http://www.quickfixengine.org/], and FOSS and proprietary
trading and market making interfaces
[http://trac.marketcetera.org/] come to mind).

Both maintenance and new developemnt of applications continues
apace.

The older space is still alive, I think.  Whether Java / JNI /
JRE specifications should be incorporated into an LSB standard
element is another question.

> Lastly, would it be sufficient for the GNU/Linux community
> to endorse a single open source Java provider?

Is it the business of the LSB to 'endorse' at all?

-- I would have been perfectly happy to use the IBM
implementation, if it would run the application published (and
obsfucated) by the ISV that we use -- two months of (very
painful) experimentation demonstrated just it would not run on
the IBM kit [George, feel free to pass my contact details
along to the proper people inside IBM/java, as I am a fine
reproducable bug reporter ;) and I'll chase down why with
them].

The the applicationt just laughs and snickers at me when I try
to fire it up with the FOSS variants.

Communication with the ISV is telegraphic and cryptic, at
best, as to supported Sun versions.  But it is Sun, or not at
all to them.

Trying to capture and enumerate the interfaces they are using,
to then incorporate such details into a statement for the LSB
seems like a load of work wayyy out of proportion to the gain
it would yield.

-- Russ Herrold