[lsb-discuss] Java

Ron Hale-Evans rwhe at ludism.org
Wed Jul 2 12:25:24 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Joseph Kowalski <jek3 at sun.com> wrote:
> 4)      The sole CLI to be included into the LSB from the JRE is:
>
>                java(1)
>
>        There is a publicly available manual page for this.  We should
>        prune ths to eliminate the flags which are either only appropriate
>        for developers, are potentially non-standard or are simply too
>        baroque.

I've been working on pruning the manpage. I'm attaching a PDF of the
latest version from Ubuntu so folks can follow along and let me know
if I've made any mistakes in judgment.

Per Joe's criteria above, I'm marking each option (sans the preceding
"--") as either OK (should be used in the LSB), dev-only, non-std, or
baroque.

Page 1:
client, server: OK

Page 2:
agentlib, agentpath: baroque
classpath, cp, Dproperty=value, d32, d64: OK
enableassertions, ea: dev-only

Page 3:
disableassertions, da, enablesystemassertions, esa,
disablesystemassertions, dsa: dev-only
jar: OK
javaagent: dev-only

Page 4:
verbose: OK
verbose:* - dev-only
version: OK
version:release: OK, but limited to functionality in Notes section on p.7
showversion, ?, help: OK

Pages 4-7:
All options in the Non-Standard Options section: non-std

That's it. In summary, the options specified in LSB should be as
follows, in my opinion:

client
--?
--Dproperty=value
--classpath
--cp
--d32
--d64
--help
--jar
--server
--showversion
--verbose
--version
--version:release (limited to functionality in Notes section on p.7)

If I get some feedback on this option list soon, I'll start writing
the LSB manpage.

Thanks,

Ron

--