[lsb-discuss] Java

Joseph Kowalski jek3 at sun.com
Wed Jul 2 16:44:51 PDT 2008

Ron Hale-Evans wrote:
> OK, I think I understand you. You're saying that on the existing java
> manpage (the PDF I attached earlier), the Options section specifies
> behavior, and the Notes section describes policy. That is, the Options
> section describes how the java executable's -version:release option
> must behave, whereas the Notes section advises application developers
> on best practices when using that option. Is that correct?

Yep!

> If that's so, I'm suggesting that the LSB only specify as mandatory
> the "restricted subset of the possible release specifications [that]
> represent sound policy and ... are fully supported", namely the four
> ways of specifying versions enumerated in the Notes section.
>
> If that doesn't make sense, please consider why LSB should specify
> ways of specifying versions that are /not/ sound policy or fully
> supported. If they're not fully supported even by Sun, why should they
> be included in the LSB spec?

Many applications specify an exact update (1.4.2_02 for example).  It means
that the system administrator has to maintain lots of versions and the
application
doesn't get the benefit of bug fixes.  It was the choice of the
application developer.

I think the problem you've noticed is the following:

>  However, only a restricted subset of the possible release
>   specifications represent sound policy and only these are
>   fully supported.

Sun, a corporation, is allowing themselves to reject issues caused by
specifications outside of the policies.  That's the implication of
"fully supported".  We get bugs from major corportations.  We don't like
to try and close such bugs with "Well, that was dumb." and have them say
"But you didn't warn us".

I'd suggest this sentence be replaced with:

  However, only a restricted subset of the possible release
  specifications represent sound policy and application
  developers should strongly consider restricting their
  specifications to conform to these policies.

(Or something like that.)

- jek3