[lsb-discuss] ISV building LSB 3.1 compliant packages needs help getting Requires line right

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Mon Jul 14 19:48:01 PDT 2008

Jeff Licquia wrote:
> Dan Kegel wrote:

http://refspecs.linux-foundation.org/LSB_3.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core
-generic/pkgdepend.html
>> implies
>>
>> Requires        :  lsb-core-noarch = 3.0 lsb-core-ia32 = 3.0
>
> Hmm, that doesn't look right.  There are situations where this will
> fail, even apart from the package versioning.
>
>> So, what's a poor ISV to do?  Is it safe to do
>>          lsb = 3.1 lsb-core-noarch >= 3.0 lsb-core-ia32 >= 3.0
>> or should one ignore the standard, follow what distros seem to be
>>          doing, and do lsb = 3.1 lsb-core-noarch = 3.1 lsb-core-ia32
>> = 3.1
>>
>> ?
>
> Given our current guarantees, is there a reason we can't use:
>
> lsb >= 3.1, lsb-core-noarch >= 3.0, lsb-core-ia32 >= 3.0

you can, but the concept introduced as of 3.1 (see Ian's
persistent poking at this) is that you would only depend on LSB.
The base pieces (core) remain in because they were documented
in ISO-LSB and it wasn't right to just throw them away, and
they'll probably be reused if we go to a minimal "server profile".
But at the moment apps from 3.1 on are only supposed to need
to depend on "lsb" (of the lowest applicable version).