[lsb-discuss] Statistics on RPM test failures

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Tue Jul 22 11:58:15 PDT 2008

In an attempt to better understand the deficiencies in our RPM spec and
tests, I ran pkgchk against all of the packages found in two distros:
Fedora 9 and openSuSE 11.

The results are in the attached CSV file.  The number of test failures
per test purpose (the "200" line of the journal) is given, and the list
is sorted by distribution and number of failures.

One test purpose was amalgamated: the numerous "Check payload filename"
tests, one per file found in the package.  All tests for a particular
file were treated as the same test purpose, even though the file names
differed.  (It's worth pointing out that, although these are the most
numerous failures, they're also spurious, as they're all caused by
packages locating files in forbidden places such as /usr.)

I can look in the actual journals for specific results, if needed, or
you can download the entire journal set here:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/~licquia/pkgchk-results.tar.gz

We could use this as a task list of sorts, considering these to be the
most important deficiencies to fix in our spec.