[lsb-discuss] RPM build tool

Stew Benedict stewb at linux-foundation.org
Thu Jul 24 13:27:39 PDT 2008

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Stew Benedict wrote:

> I've done some work on the RPM Build tool discussed in:
>
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/ProjectPlan40
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/LSB:PM:RPM_Build_Tool
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/BuildRPMHeader
>
> Known issues:
>
> For a prexisting archive, I unpack it to build the header store,
> which duplicates the file data. Doing this ends up with different inode
> values and different mtimes for created directories in the header vs the
> archive. Need to think about a better way to do this. (perl-Archive-Cpio
> perhaps).
>
> No man page
> Not handling pre/post/preun/postun yet
> Let user definable tags be read from an (xml?) file as an alternative to
> command line options
>
> Doesn't have a bugzilla category yet, but comments to the list, irc, or
> direct email are welcome.

New version (things got more complicated, standalone script needs some
CPAN modules, packaged in the rpm to be LSB compliant):

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/~stewb/lsb-makelsbpkg-0.3-1.noarch.rpm
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/~stewb/lsb-makelsbpkg-0.3-1.src.rpm

Man page now provided
pre/post/preun/postun can be used now
Can read user definable tags (including pre/post scripts) from an xml file
(sample provided)

Believe I've resolved the issues with dev/mtime for user provided cpio
archives.

--
Stew Benedict
The Linux Foundation