[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-07-30

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Thu Jul 31 19:50:36 PDT 2008

Attendees: Jeff Licquia, Jesper Thomschultz, Darren Davis, Stew
Benedict, Vojtech Pavlik, Mats Wichmann, Alexey Khoroshilov, Ted Tso,
Kay Tate

Darren: Submitted last week's questions to the feature tracker, have not
heard answers to questions raised yet; engineers are busy.  Jeff: is the
feature tracker public?  Darren: Fate is the feature tracker for
openSuSE; just made available externally.  Need Novell website user ID.
  Once in, search for "LSB".  Jeff: also need to make sure we are
involved in the project for that in SuSE.

Debian?  Jeff: in etch and sid (3.1.1-2).  Maintainer is Stuart
Anderson.  Not sure why it's not in lenny.  Mats: Stuart had asked if
there was any interest in bringing it up to speed.

Fedora?  Mats: no one has worked on it.  Ted: probably want to do
something short-term.  Can we get anything into Fedora 10?  Mats:
probably too late for F10, probably can get into F11.  Ted: probably
best to get 4.0 things into Fedora.  Jeff: agree.

Ted: next question is: does Stuart need help?  Mats: sounds like he's
otherwise busy, so wouldn't mind patches sent his way.

Ted: SuSE goals?  Vojtech: not unrealistic to target SLES, as long as
the engineering tasks are understood.  Ted: timeline?  Vojtech: not sure
how much can be shared.  Ted: late November?  Vojtech: probably too
late, need to check with other engineers whether a pre-release would be
OK.  Would be interesting in getting anything we can integrated.  Ted:
might be nice to review current code, esp. for new App Checker, if time
permits.  Vojtech: may be able to.

Jeff: web site issues?  Ted: Brian is hard at work at getting docs done
well enough for a launch last week.  (ldn.linuxfoundation.org)  Not
ready just yet, lots of holes still to fill in, but some of it is there.

Jeff: feature freeze on Aug 1?  Mats: had been under the working
assumption is end of August, not end of July.  Ted: how much would have
to be dropped if we froze tomorrow?  Probably a lot.  Mats: yes, a few
things pending.  Ted: original idea was to start bugfixing on Aug 1,
beta 1 two months later, next beta in October.  Could go to Aug 31, but
then only would have a month for bug fixes before first beta.  Kay: not
always clear what the definitive tasks are.  Mats: lots of pieces to be
updated.  The Navigator is most up-to-date regarding implemented stuff.
  There are bugs for things in Navigator but missing details.  Jeff:
also, task status in ProjectPlan40.  Kay: looking for more interfaces
and details.  Ted: Navigator is best place for that.

Ted: how are we doing?  Would it be worth adding a month to features?
Mats: lots to do, not necessarily splitting out new vs. bugs.  Jeff:
most P1 bugs are bugs, not features.  Looks like ALSA, printing
enhancements, RPM spec.  Ted: Berlin, printing spec may need to be
postponed.  Downside for printing?  Jeff: mostly interest from driver
vendors.  Ted: it seems we should close up things in progress rather
than start new stuff.  Mats: seems like that's what we were doing.
Jeff: ALSA and RPM?  Ted: RPM in progress (Stew's build tool plus bugs).

Jeff: so ALSA is the only non-started project.  Ted: test suites?  Jeff:
only libchk.  Stew: appbat app, too.  Ted: ISPRAS working on it?
Alexey: nothing short-term, more long-term.  2009.  Ted: probably won't
have tests for ALSA in LSB 4; what to do?  Mats: PulseAudio discussion?
  Ted: no, not yet.  Should probably split the table, move stuff we're
not doing to a second table.  Mats and Jeff will do that.  Jeff: still
want to consider ALSA.  Ted: question is how wimpy the test suite is.

Jeff: summary, Ted: do a checkpoint two weeks from now, to see that the
features are getting in. Jeff: agenda item for August 13th call?  Ted:
yes.  Mats: Java is also an issue.  Ted: issues with Java?  Mats: which
spec?  Required methods, classes, etc.  Test suite question is also a
big deal.  Ted: should follow up on these issues before Ron gets back.