[lsb-discuss] [Printing-architecture] Fw: Proposals to LSB 4.0

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Mon Jun 2 09:56:19 PDT 2008

It's worth pointing out that this is the plan; we hope to get all the
way there, but might not due to resource issues.

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> TORATANI Yasumasa wrote:
>> - We still develop printer drivers which can work under CUPS 1.1 and 1.2 for
>> backward compatibility. We are glad if CUPS 1.2 will be included in LSB 4.0,
>> on the other hand, we do not have a strong requirement that LSB 4.0 should
>> include CUPS 1.2.
>>

> In LSB 4.0 CUPS 1.1.x is still the reference, but this time the full API
> (not only the Convenience and Raster APIs) is required. Exception are
> interfaces which got dropped after CUPS 1.1.x. These will not be
> required by the LSB.

Right now, I believe our to-do list for CUPS is to get rid of references
to the http* and ipp* structures except as opaque types; direct
structure references were allowed in 1.1.x, but are deprecated in 1.2.x
and later.

Are there other APIs that we need to add?

>> - We are not sure LSB 3.2 defines the "Path to store the PPD files".
>> If the path is not defined clearly in LSB 3.2, we strongly request that
>> LSB 4.0 should define it.
>>

> I did not see it in the LSB specs. Can someone check whether it went
> inyo the FHS (File system Hierarchy Standard) specs? Otherwise we must
> add it in LSB 4.0.

I looked, too, and didn't see it.  I've filed bug 2157 in the LSB bug
tracker (bugs.linuxbase.org) to make sure it doesn't get dropped in 4.0.

>> - For SANE, we worry about that the project roadmap of SANE.
>> Actually, we are preparing many drivers under SANE, however, we are not sure
>> SANE2 will replace the genuine SANE interface in the near future with keeping
>> the backward compatibility. If the new SANE interface will not keep the
>> compatibility with today's SANE, and if most Linux distro will switch from
>> today's SANE to the new SANE and will not support today's SANE in the near
>> future, from the view point of LSB backward compatibility, we should consider
>> to postpone to include the SANE in LSB 4.0.
>>

> Do not worry here, they are talking a lot about SANE2 on the SANE
> developer mailing list, they did it for years, but they never came
> around for really implementing it. Now they are doing a 1.1, a polish-up
> for SANE1. So SANE1 will be the standard for more time.

If SANE 2 is not yet released, then it won't likely be a candidate for
LSB status for several years yet at least.  And applications will
require SANE 1 support for quite some time as well.  I don't think
distros will be dropping SANE 1 support for a long time.

For reference, GTK+ 2 was released in 2002, and GTK+ 1 is still being
shipped by most distributions:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/navigator/browse/lib_single.php?cmd=list-by-name&Lname=libgtk