[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-05-28

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Tue Jun 3 07:58:29 PDT 2008

Joseph Kowalski wrote:
> Some of this I understand.  Questions inserted.  Mostly, its just a
> little terse
> for me to understand.

Yup.  I have to lead and take notes at the same time, so the notes can
sometimes be a little mystifying, or require some background knowledge.

> Jeff Licquia wrote:
>> Robert: Java status?  Jeff: mostly as talked about on the list.  Might
>> be an issue with architectures not supported by OpenJDK.
>
> This is kinda a misnomer.  It would be better to say that "the OpenJDK
> community hasn't produced an implementation" for some architecture.

Sure, and that was the sense of the call.

>> IBM interest in contributing to OpenJDK?  George: high level issue.
>> Best approach might be for Ted to bring it up to IBM higher-ups.
>
> Is this a suggestion that IBM might be willing to supply ports for the
> MIA architectures?  Would be cool.

It was a suggestion that maybe IBM *should* help with those ports.
Whether they're willing or not isn't known.

>> Ron: different JRE compatibility?  George: IBM JRE is certified.  Kay:
>> high level of compatibility.  Darren: his experience also.
>
> Isn't that the point of the LSB?

Sorry.  "Certified" -> "Java trademark compliant", meaning Sun is OK
with IBM calling its JRE "Java".  The compatibility comments were in
regards to running diverse applications on the IBM JRE.

>> George: one drawback: a11y needs to be compiled for each JRE, so
>> multiple JREs per arch are not good.
>
> ally?

Accessibility.

> Anything that needs to be compiled for each JRE is a very, very, bad\h\h\h
> questionable application.
>
> What is this beast?

This is a bridge between Java's accessibility framework and the Linux
framework, called AT-SPI.  AT-SPI currently is built on top of CORBA.
For some reason, hooking Java into it requires special stuff.

George Kraft is a member of the LF Accessibility workgroup, and is much
more familiar with the details, so maybe he can explain.

>> Jeff: DBus?  George: not sure; depends on the implementation. There is
>> a DBus implementation for Java.
>
> I'm really surprised to see "DBus" and "Java" in the same paragraph.
> Is this a desire for extra classes for access the DBus, or is this
> something
> else?

In general, D-Bus is becoming the standard IPC mechanism on Linux for
lots of things.  GNOME and KDE have both announced (and in KDE's case,
implemented) that they are moving to D-Bus for this, so I expect it to
become interesting on Solaris, too.

More importantly from our point of view, the a11y people are busy
porting AT-SPI from CORBA to D-Bus, so in the future the aforementioned
a11y bridge will need to know how to do D-Bus.

>> Thiago: needs platform-specific code.
>>

> Not sure what this is about,... assume something called Thiago.

Nope.  Thiago Maceiera is a developer for TrollTech, who was on the call
and observed that the Java D-Bus implementation needs platform-specific
code.

There's nothing about D-Bus that should, however.  The D-Bus people are
very good, and have standardized it both at the ABI level and at the
protocol level.  The Mono people recently redid their D-Bus bindings to
be 100% managed code, so I imagine the same should be possible for Java.

> Lots of things need platform-specific code - called via the JNI.
> That's not the same thing as "compiled for each JRE" (ally).

So JNI should be stable enough from a binary ABI perspective that a JNI
module compiled with, say, Sun JDK should run on IBM's JRE?  That's good
to know.

Might it make sense to define that binary ABI as part of the LSB?