[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-06-04

Joseph Kowalski jek3 at sun.com
Wed Jun 4 11:34:59 PDT 2008

Jeff Licquia wrote:
> Java.  Joe sent a message summarizing the current status.  Went through;
> any issues?  Robert: looks good.  Jeff: point 5.

Jeff, that's pretty terse.   :-)

> Darren: distros do
> need to ship multiple JVMs.

Statement or question?

> Kay: 32/64 bit issue.

Understood.

> Robert: should allow
> distros to ship more than one version of Java.

Distros should be able to ship multiple JVMs", but I don't see this as
an LSB issue.

> Darren: handle via
> alternatives mechanism.

Wouldn't that be a choice for the distro to make, and not of concern the
the LSB?

I'd encourage them not to use this. In the case of a full JDK (rather
than the JRE we are discussing), it would be a ponderious and fragile
implementation.

That said, a distro can use what ever type of rope they want.

> Robert: Java appchk?  Jeff: does the JCK have a app side as well as a VM
> side?  Something to research.  If the JCK doesn't have an application
> checker, we'll need to do something; perhaps a bytecode verifier and
> reference checker.

The JCK doesn't have an app side.

There is an "appchk" semi-equivalent for "100% Pure Java", but that
would kick-out many valid applications.  Its probably a  starting point.