[lsb-discuss] Java

Joseph Kowalski jek3 at sun.com
Wed Jun 4 11:44:20 PDT 2008

I'm going to critique and propose to modify my own summary.    :-)

- jek3

Joseph Kowalski wrote:
> 4)      The CLIs to be included into the LSB from the JRE are:
>
>                 java(1)
>                 javaws(1)
>                 jcontrol(1)

This list is probably too long.

javaws is an application distribution tool for deployment *within* a
corporate domain.  Its probably not appropriate for an ISV centered
specification.  (It also neatly avoids the following issue:
"Availability (from Sun) of javaws for 64-bit Linux (any architecture)",
but this isn't the reason for suggesting to not specify it.)

jcontrol is a configuration tool for system administrators.  Again, not
appropriate for the LSB.

That just leaves "java".

- jek3