[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-06-04

Theodore Tso tytso at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 5 11:21:51 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 06:53:22PM -1000, Joseph Kowalski wrote:
> That said, I understand your concern, but it is far from clear what the
> right thing is to do.  Currently, there isn't a good story for
> co-resident 64-bit/32-bit Java on Linux (from anybody, including Sun).

The main reason that I could see for needing something like that would
be Multiarch support for JNI code.  Suppose you are running an
application (not necessarily an LSB application) that only has shipped
with it some 32-bit JNI code.  For Distributions that do support
Multiarch (i.e., they can run both 64-bit and 32-bit binaries) the
32-bit JNI code will work on their 64-bit system --- if the user can
invoke the 32-bit JVM.

Or does the JVM have the ability to run the JNI code in a separate
process that could be running in 32-bit compatibility mode?

	     	      	      	 	- Ted