[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-06-04

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Fri Jun 6 05:18:45 PDT 2008

Joseph Kowalski wrote:

> Yea, its kinda funny... Nobody expects a 32-bit C application to work
> on a distro like amd64 Ubuntu (which by default doesn't support
> 32-bit). Somehow people forget that Java applications containing
> 32-bit JNI modules are pretty much the same thing.
>
> I understand why an distro might want to provided both.  I'm a bit
> lost as to why this is an LSB issue.  Does the LSB generally require
> support for 32-bit objects on 64-bit platforms?

No, in fact it's the case that LSB presents seven independent ABIs
with no real nod to the possibility that some machines may have
applications for two (or more!) of them. But it's typical for stuff
like this to come up in the course of discussion since on a few
platforms the multi-model stuff is quite important in practice.