[lsb-discuss] Generating Debian package repositories for apt-get

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 09:03:05 PDT 2008

Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi Till,
>
> Till Kamppeter [2008-06-06 17:28 +0200]:
>> With ia32-libs installed I get
>
> Right, you need that for the 32 bit linker.
>
> I'm offline ATM (train), so I can't test it myself ATM, but did you
> try to run alien under 'linux32'? This should convince some other
> tools that they are running under an i386.

Good idea, I have tried it now, but it seems to have no influence. See
below.

>> /usr/bin/ldd: line 117:
>> debian/splix/opt/splix/cups/lib/filter/rastertospl2: No such file or
>> directory
>
> Does that file actually exist at this time of the build process? This
> failure does not look architecture specific.

The file debian/splix/opt/splix/cups/lib/filter/rastertospl2 is present,
when I ldd it manually I get also this error message. So it looks like
that ldd is missing a certain file which it needs to find the library
dependencies of rastertospl2.

>> Has someone any idea how to convert these packages without needing a
>> physical server for each architecture?
>
> At most you need a chroot with dpkg-dev and alien. Should take some
> 150 MB.
>
>> My simple but not perfect repository geerator script (mkrepo) is here:
>>
>> http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printdriver/debian/
>
> Didn't look at it, does it use apt-ftparchive? If you use that as a
> backend, you should be fine.

It uses apt-ftparchive. What it cannot do yet is converting only the
RPMs which were actually changed.

>> To download packages from this repo, add
>>
>> deb http://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/debian/ lsb3.2 main
>
> Cool! Thanks for setting this up! Is that URL documented in the wiki
> somewhere?

I will add it soon.

    Till

till at parker:/srv/www/linuxprinting.org/download/printdriver/RPMS/i486$
linux32 fakeroot alien -ck splix-1.1.1-2lsb3.2.i486.rpm
Package build failed. Here's the log:
dh_testdir
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
dh_clean -k -d
dh_installdirs
dh_installdocs
dh_installchangelogs
find . -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -not -name debian -print0 | \
		xargs -0 -r -i cp -a {} debian/splix
dh_compress
dh_makeshlibs
dh_installdeb
dh_shlibdeps
/usr/bin/ldd: line 117:
debian/splix/opt/splix/cups/lib/filter/rastertospl2: No such file or
directory
dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: ldd on
`debian/splix/opt/splix/cups/lib/filter/rastertospl2' gave error exit
status 1
dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code 256
make: [binary-arch] Error 1 (ignored)
dh_gencontrol
dpkg-gencontrol: error: current build architecture amd64 does not appear
in package's list (i386)
dh_gencontrol: command returned error code 65280
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1
find: splix-1.1.1: No such file or directory
till at parker:/srv/www/linuxprinting.org/download/printdriver/RPMS/i486$