[lsb-discuss] [Lf_driver_backport] Generating Debian package repositories for apt-get

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 01:09:46 PDT 2008

Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi Till,
>
> Till Kamppeter [2008-06-09 19:51 +0200]:
>> dpkg-gencontrol: error: current build architecture amd64 does not appear
>> in package's list (i386)
>
> Right. I think it's worth trying "dpkg-buildpackage -ai386" which
> tells dpkg to build a package for a different architecture. If that
> doesn't work either, then the clean and hack-free method is really to
> just spend 100 MB for an i386 chroot. debootstrap makes creating one

Pitti, the "dpkg-buildpackage -ai386" really works. I do

alien -ckg <RPM>
cd <dir created by alien>
dpkg-buildpackage -ai386 -rfakeroot

and get an i386 Debian package.

Thank you very much.

So in general we can auto-generate .deb files for 32-bit and 64-bit x86
platforms on our server. So driver developers/printer manufacturers only
need to provide LSB RPMs for these platforms and we will take care of
.debs. If they want to support more platforms, they will have to run
"fakeroot alien -ck" over their RPMs by themselves and also upload the
generated .debs.

    Till