[lsb-discuss] Generating Debian package repositories for apt-get

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 09:11:37 PDT 2008

As I have now working Debian repositories on the OpenPrinting server, I
want to ask you what do you think about the follwing suggestion:

Currently all packages belong to the "distribution" "lsb3.2" and the
section "main". Imagine if someone has a Samsung printer which works
out-of-the-box with the SpliX package of his distro and an Epson for
which he downloads the newest Gutenprint from OpenPrinting. He adds also
the OpenPrinting line to his /etc/apt/sources.list to get automatic
updates for Gutenprint. Problem is now that with this also SpliX will
get auto-updated from OpenPrinting and the user does not want to have that.

My suggestion is that each driver should have its own section, for
example with the same name as the Foomatic driver entry: "splix",
"gutenprint52", ... So our user would add

deb http://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/debian/ lsb3.2
gutenprint52

and so for his SpliX driver only updates from his distro get applied.

A printer setup tool/Jockey could also add such lines to
/etc/apt/sources.list so that the user gets automatic updates only for
drivers which he is using. WDYT?

    Till

P. S.: We can do also the same way for kernel drivers.