[lsb-discuss] Generate yum repositories for Red Hat/Fedora and SUSE

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 09:38:03 PDT 2008

After having generated my first apt-get repositories for the Debian
packages on the OpenPrinting server, I also want to index the RPM
packages, so that users can install and auto-update with yum.

I have found out that there are two index formats: The depricated
yum-arch and the new XML-based createrepo.

The switchover to createrepo was done on Fedora 3/RHEL 4, but it is told
that perhaps other distros can be still using yum-arch. Having only
packages for LSB 3.2 do I still need yum-arch or is it enough if I only
generate indices with createrepo?

As I did not yet get createrepo to work but yum-arch, I have generated a
yum-arch index directory "headers" in

/srv/www/linuxprinting.org/download/printdriver/RPMS

on parker, URL of this directory is

http://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/RPMS

So you could test if you have an appropriate distro.

    Till