[lsb-discuss] Generate yum repositories for Red Hat/Fedora and SUSE

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Tue Jun 10 11:51:55 PDT 2008

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> After having generated my first apt-get repositories for the Debian
> packages on the OpenPrinting server, I also want to index the RPM
> packages, so that users can install and auto-update with yum.
>
> I have found out that there are two index formats: The depricated
> yum-arch and the new XML-based createrepo.
>
> The switchover to createrepo was done on Fedora 3/RHEL 4, but it is
> told that perhaps other distros can be still using yum-arch. Having
> only packages for LSB 3.2 do I still need yum-arch or is it enough if
> I only generate indices with createrepo?

I believe createrepo will be sufficient.

When it became possible to support yum on suse, it was already
compatible with the xml createrepo format. Although to be a
valid suse repository there's an extra twist relating to trust
that you need to follow - you need to create a detached signature
of the repodata/repomd.xml file named repodata/repomd.xml.asc,
and make your signing key available in a sensible way. I've
already forgotten how this works... I think you can install from
an unsigned repository with yast/zypper, but not update.
Someone will know.