[lsb-discuss] Generate yum repositories for Red Hat/Fedora and SUSE

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 13:02:10 PDT 2008

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:

> I believe createrepo will be sufficient.

So then I will simply provide createrepo indexing for now.

> When it became possible to support yum on suse, it was already
> compatible with the xml createrepo format. Although to be a
> valid suse repository there's an extra twist relating to trust
> that you need to follow - you need to create a detached signature
> of the repodata/repomd.xml file named repodata/repomd.xml.asc,
> and make your signing key available in a sensible way. I've
> already forgotten how this works... I think you can install from
> an unsigned repository with yast/zypper, but not update.
> Someone will know.

I am not familiar with the signing techniques on package repository
servers. Here I would very much appreciate if someone could tell here
how to sign the packages and/or index files so that distro tools do both
the initial installation of a driver and also do automatic updates. Tell
also where to place the public keys so that distros can download and
ship them.

    Till