[lsb-discuss] [Lf_driver_backport] Generate yum repositories for Red Hat/Fedora and SUSE

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 03:04:54 PDT 2008

Daniel Rahn wrote:
> I guess we are talking about two different things here. Let me try to
> give some insight.
>
> On Wednesday 11 June 2008 10:05:56 Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> Is it really needed that the yum repositories for SUSE must be in a
>> directory named "SLE10"? I can set a symlink, but when it comes to
>> other versions of (Open)SUSE I will have to set symlinks for each
>> version and also index separately.
>
> You do not need to name the version in any way. SUSE handles YUM the
> same way as other distributions do. No need for specifics.
>
> The documents that were given here earlier are SLES specific and are
> aimed to support our partners and customers. They list naming the
> directory exactly as the OS version for organizational reasons (eg. if
> you do it that way from the start you get a certain structure on your
> server without thinking about it too much).
>
>> Do I also always need separate indexing for initial installation
>> (YaST) and for updates (yum)?
>
> We are using YUM repositories for software delivery the way every other
> distribution that uses YUM is doing. If you just want to deliver
> packages to customers, stick with YUM and don't bother which
> distribution they are for.
>
> Also, our tools are able to fetch new package versions from a YUM
> repository when told to do so ("zypper up -t package" or within YaST2).
>
> The patch delivery mechanism for our distribution however uses a
> different reporitory format based on YUM (actually an extended version
> of repomd that supports patches and patterns), which include additional
> directories and meta data. The most important files there are XML
> descriptions for every single patch, containing the patch description,
> packages list etc.
>
> See here
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/Software_Repositories
>
> Our update tools use that meta data to inform the user about new patches
> for the used software, either as a desktop applet or within YaST2
> Online Update.
>
> At this point, I do not think you have to care for that with your driver
> packages.

So SUSE users can use my Red-Hat style indices which I have already set
up and proceed as I described on the
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/DriverPackages
Wiki page (section "Installation with the package tool of your
distribution and automatic updates")? This will also assure that updates
  get automatically done by the daily update cron job of the user's SUSE
system?

Can someone test with a SUSE system?

    Till