[lsb-discuss] Driver package repositories and distributions

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 08:49:15 PDT 2008

[ Back-posting to the list, please use "Reply to all" in your mail
   program when answering to a mail posted on a list ]

Subhankar Sett wrote:
> Hi Till,
>
> Even I think that (2) is the better solution cos (1) would simply need
> too much indexing by the server because we put each component in a
> different repository.
>
> But with (2) we have another problem because we then have to inform
> the changed names to all users.

Telling the changed names to the user is no problem. The download links
on the OpenPrinting web site will naturally point to the packages with
the new names (the names of the Foomatic entries will not change) and
also the web query interface for the printer setup tools will answer
with the new package names. So one will automatically get the correct
driver package for a given printer.

    Till