[lsb-discuss] Best-effort dynamic linking -- take 1

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Wed Jun 18 14:13:01 PDT 2008

I've done a somewhat naive implementation of best-effort dynamic linking
in lsbcc.  You can see my branch here:

http://bzr.linuxfoundation.org/unofficial/best-effort-build_env

Just build lsbcc and use it, as normal, and your resulting binaries will
do best-effort.

Some notes:

  - Right now, the branch just does best-effort by default, and no other
linker options are available.  This will be fixed once we decide how we
want to expose this option, and what the default should be.

  - Constructor priority is not available in gcc 4.1, so the order in
which the best-effort code gets run might not be as early as we'd like.
  We can probably do some autoconf-like stuff to figure out if
constructor priority is supported, or just use it and say "no builds
with old gcc", or not worry about constructor priority.  Which do we
think we want to do?

  - The implementation is most certainly missing tests it should be
doing, or is otherwise buggy, suboptimal, ugly, and flame-worthy.  It's
in lsbdev-cc/besteffort.c; please review.

  - In particular, this implementation creates new dependencies on
/proc: /proc/[pid]/cmdline, /proc/[pid]/exe, and /proc/self as an alias
for /proc/[my-pid].  It's probably not difficult to kill the use of
/proc/[pid]/exe, but we need some way to get to argv without the benefit
of main() so we can pass it in the re-exec.  Ideas welcome.