[lsb-discuss] [packaging] LSB Package API

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Mon Jun 23 07:56:32 PDT 2008

Denis Washington wrote:
> To reignite the the initiative, I decided to design and develop a
> prototype implementation of the Berlin API, most creatively named the
> "LSB Package API". It is designed as a simple D-Bus interface
> accompanied with an XML-based package description format. A detailed
> description and the source code can be found on this page:
>
>  http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/LSB_Package_API
>
> The implementation currently supports integration into RPM and dpkg; due
> to its modular nature, support for more package managers could be added
> later on.
>
> I hope this implementation will act as a starting point for resurrecting
> the Berlin API process. Let us overcome the "Third-party software
> installation on Linux sucks" problem and strive to a brave new world of
> easily distributable Linux software! ;)

Thanks for the effort!

Some implementation of the Berlin API is on the task list for LSB 4.  We
have a few straw-men up on the LF Wiki, and now it appears we have one
more. :-)  I'll take a look as soon as I can.

FWIW, there's some debate as to whether a honest-to-goodness API or a
command-line tool would be best.  The advantage of starting with an API
is that a tool is then easy to derive.