[lsb-discuss] [packaging] LSB Package API

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Jun 23 14:17:28 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Jeff Licquia <jeff at licquia.org> wrote:
> At that 2006 meeting (December, in Berlin, thus the "Berlin API" name),
> these representatives from the distros were told by numerous ISVs why
> distro package systems were not acceptable.

I looked around for details, and though I found summaries,
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/packaging/2007-January/000376.html
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/LSB_face-to-face_(December_2006)
http://ianmurdock.com/2006/12/19/software-installation-on-linux-tomorrow-it-wont-with-some-cooperation-part-2/
I didn't find anything that really enlightened me about
the situation of the ISVs who are locked in to existing proprietary installers.

>From what I can gather, the story is "We (e.g. SAP) already have
our installer, thank you very much.  And we don't want to change it.
We just want it to work everywhere."

Can somebody in those shoes fill me in a bit?

Thanks,
Dan