[lsb-discuss] x86_64 psABI doc

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Jun 25 12:54:05 PDT 2008

Andrew Haley wrote:

>> We can't remove old versions - they're there specifically
>> because past published LSB specifications reference specific
>> versions and those must remain available so those links
>> remain valid. This is in fact the exact reason why they are
>> mirrored on refspecs, because we can't change history, but
>> upstream sites are likely to drop specific versions (my own
>> employer does this with great impunity). I believe the
>> published ISO LSB specification, AMD64 volume, contains this link.
>
> Interesting.  The trouble with this approach, while it makes
> some sense from an historical point of view, is that people
> might refer to this out of date ABI spec and actually use it.

As a separate topic from updating our current reference,
we ought to think of some way to describe the copies in
refspecs in a way that indicates that they may not be the
current versions; there's already something like that in the
LSB specification itself but one could easily browse directly
in refspecs to one of the saved specs without seeing that notice.