[lsb-discuss] Java

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Fri Jun 27 15:53:25 PDT 2008

Joseph Kowalski wrote:
>> I've updated the high-level list of items. Its important to me that
>> we agree on what's on this list.  It's nice to point out
>> "extensions", but that's much less important at the moment. ...
>> We still need to design the installation points to account for 32/64
>> bit co-residency.  The suggestion was made to use:
>>
>>    /usr/lib/java
>>    /usr/lib64/java
>
> It turns out (to my understanding) that the LSB doesn't not define the
> interfaces to support multi-ISA (simultainiously).  See section 6 for
> more details (attachment).
>
> I'd like to get some feedback on this.  Perhaps those who normally
> attend the weekly conference call could ACK/NAK?

I think I've pointed this out before.

Right now, an LSB ABI is a completely standalone thing
and makes no nod to the possibility that a particular
platform may support multiple ABIs, they just try to stay
out of the way of each other, so ppc32 ignores the possible
existence of ppc64 on the same machine, but by putting
files in /lib, /usr/lib it's out of the way of ppc64 putting
files in /lib64 and /usr/lib64.