[lsb-discuss] [packaging] LSB Package API

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Jun 30 13:00:56 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Theodore Tso <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:
> I think the bigger picture here is that most ISV's have their own
> build systems, that have to work across multiple Linux/Unix operating
> system variants, and tools like RPM have a tendency to assume that
> they want to subsume the package build process.

Incidentally, this is also the problem with the Suse Build Service.

> You can of course
> work around RPM's "You *vill* build from prestine sources!  *My* way!!
> Hiel Hitler!"  attitude, but it's painful, and not the way the tool is
> meant to be used and most ISV's are simply not interested in great
> contortions to work around Tools With Attitude.

Indeed.  But if, say, Installshield or InstallAnywhere or their ilk
wanted, they could have their tool spit out .msi, .deb, and/or .rpm
as appropriate.  That could render the Berlin Api moot.

There seems to be a market opportunity here for some open source
tool to step in and help solve packaging in a way friendly to
package managers on all platforms.
- Dan