[lsb-discuss] Some thoughts about the recent packaging discussion

Ben Aceler aceler at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 23:13:10 PST 2008

В сообщении от 1 марта 2008 Theodore Tso написал(a):
> So if Debian for example says, "Nyet!  Nyet!  Nyet!  We will not do
> anything to make life easier for those evil, commercial ISV's; Debian
> is only about Free Software!!!", it's not the end of the world.
> Either the dpkg maintainer will accept the patches, and the people who
> flame on debian-legal and debian-project can just keep on flaming, and
> pounding their shoes on the table, or whatever.  Even if the dpkg
> maintainer decides not to take the patch, on Debian, the berlin API
> can just be a no-op.  That means that on Debian, a 3rd party
> commercial product which is installed, can't be easily removed unless
> the 3rd party provide provides their own "uninstall.sh" script.  But
> that's no different than it is today, and while it's annoying to end
> users, it's really not the end of the world.

Well, why do you (and hypothetic Debian maintainers) think that Berlin API is
useful *only* for a commercial ISV? There are a lot of the open source ISV,
that wants to create only one package for all distributions, and thay can use
Berlin API - why not?

--
jabber://aceler@jabber.ru
http://aceler.livejournal.com/