[lsb-discuss] Some thoughts about the recent packaging discussion

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Mon Mar 3 11:17:23 PST 2008

Robert Schweikert wrote:
> When the API gets implemented it should be part of the LSB. We need to
> be able to depend on the existence and cannot get into the "discovery
> game" of which distros have it and which distros do not have it. The
> discovery scenario is worse than what we have today.

We've observed before that the LSB does not have the power to force a
standard upon the distros.  The best we can do is follow the community
process: write the code, put it out there, and see if anyone bites.
Only then can it be proposed for inclusion in the LSB.

One factor that may help matters: if ISVs tell the distros that they
need this API, that may make it more likely that it will be accepted.
But, for example, if the code is terrible, no amount of pressure is
going to get the distros to accept it, especially so close to a key part
of the distro's infrastructure.

(Of course, we don't plan on writing terrible code.  But you get the idea.)