[lsb-discuss] xfs fileystem fails tests passed by ext3 and reiserfs?

Andrew Josey ajosey at rdg.opengroup.org
Thu Mar 6 23:59:59 PST 2008

POSIX requires conforming systems provide "an environment" where
applications can work, that does not mean all environments (filesystems)
are required to strictly conform, or even that the system be conforming
out of the box (the conformance document would state how to configure a
conforming system).

So its fair behaviour for a system to have filesystems that do not
conform, also to have mount options etc administrators can select if
they require certain behaviour. NFS is a classic example of where many
features can be switched on or off based on the mount options. Systems
typically mount usb filesystems etc

Now if you are running tests for POSIX conformance which you are, then
its fair that the test suites flag the deviations, that is what they are
designed for. If LSB wants to deviate then it can do so, so long as the
original modes of the tests remain intact as per the license grant
(practically handled through the LSB_TEST=Y config variable).

regards
Andrew