[lsb-discuss] Going through the bugs for LSB 4.0

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Mon Mar 10 14:40:09 PDT 2008

I'd rather do this on IRC...

-----Original Message-----
From: lsb-discuss-bounces at lists.linux-foundation.org
[mailto:lsb-discuss-bounces at lists.linux-foundation.org] On Behalf Of
Theodore Ts'o
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008 3:23 PM
To: lsb-discuss at lists.linux-foundation.org
Subject: [lsb-discuss] Going through the bugs for LSB 4.0

As part of doing our planning for the LSB 4.0 effort, one of the things
we need to take a look at is our open bugs and figure out how many of
them need to be dealt with this release cycle, so we can make a guess
about how much time this should take.

At the moment, we have something like 190 open bugs targetted for LSB
4.0.  Right before the LSB 3.2 release, when we were trying to close out
the bugs during the bug call, by my estimate we were doing maybe 10 bugs
per 60 minute call, on average (sometimes we got through more, sometimes
less).   Even if we could double our efficiency, it would take us quite
a long time to go through them all.

So, I'd like to suggest another way of making progress.  Currently,
nearly all of the bugs are prioritized P2.  Instead of trying to
prioritize them on the call, let's try doing this via e-mail.  That way
people can do this in parallel.  Afterwards, I'll take the results, and
much like when ranking papers for a conference, I'll run through a
spreadsheet, and we can go through the ones where there is disagreement
about the priority.

While reviewing the bugzilla entries to rank the bugs, if you have
personal knowledge of the history, or what still needs to be done, etc.,
which hasn't been captured in the log, please add it as a BZ comment.  I
noticed last time that there was a number of oral lore recitations that
were not documented in the BZ.  I tried capturing a few of them later as
BZ comments, but I'm sure I didn't get them all, especially since I
didn't get to attend all of the bug calls.  (And if I got any of the
details wrong, please correct them!).

Afterwards, we can schedule a call, where we can go through the bugs
where we have disagreement on the priorities.  Afterwards, we can focus
on the P1 and P2 bugs, which will hopefully give us a much smaller list
of bugs that we have to focus on.  Does sound like a good plan?  If so,
maybe folks can go through this list and submit their votes by say end
of business on Friday?   Send them to me and I'll collate them into a
spreadsheet and send it out for folks to look at.

Thanks,

						- Ted

Instructions:   Please give your vote as to the priority of these bugs,
from 1-5.  Place a number in the square brackets like this:

42   [ 3 ]  Document the answer to life, the Universe and Everything

If you think the bug should be closed, please make a note of why in the
BZ log for the bug, and put an asterisk after the closing square
bracket, as follows:

42   [ 3 ]* Document the answer to life, the Universe and Everything

  Note: P1 means that it is a release blocker; if it is not done, LSB
  4.0 can not ship. P2 bugs are highly desirable to ship. P3 and P4 are
  different variants of nice to have, and will be done if we have spare
  time. P5 basically "we'd close this because it is so highly unlikely
  we'll ever have the time to fix this, but it really is technically a
  flaw and so we're embarrassed to close it, or there are political
  reasons why we can't close it."

------------- Begin ballot here ---------------
77   [   ]  Package naming requirements appears inappropriate for ISVs
147  [   ]  package naming rules still confusing/restrictive
154  [   ]  name conflicts in /opt
402  [   ]  accept bzip2 rpm payload
404  [   ]  Add support for bzip2 library
406  [   ]  libchk inconsistent use of check_class_info
535  [   ]  MO File format should be specified
619  [   ]  release lsbdynchk for LSB 4
621  [   ]  release lsbpkginst for LSB 4.0
648  [   ]  no test counts in libchk journal
706  [   ]  Fix X11 & GL headers
707  [   ]  Uplift OpenGL specs
708  [   ]  Build c++ test against upstream source
711  [   ]  Build qmtest harness against upstream source
718  [   ]  Introduce LSB command tests
723  [   ]  archk needs to understand "special" lsb symbols
724  [   ]  release lsbarchk for LSB 4
725  [   ]  archk detect non-PIC code
780  [   ]  #! not documented anywhere
782  [   ]  Need new lsbinstall command
788  [   ]  teach lsbcc how to work with libtool
800  [   ]  Joystick IOCTL not in spec
822  [   ]  pkgchk bad depends: messages not very good
842  [   ]  LSB-CXX-ia32 ps vs. generic
862  [   ]  No specification of 27 C++ interfaces
882  [   ]  should pkgchk require specific version only?
895  [   ]  Installation & Removal of init scripts is too complicated
904  [   ]  Japanese I18N requirements
905  [   ]  I18N future directions from LRG/N3718
967  [   ]  Require distros to follow naming conventions
989  [   ]  add chage command
992  [   ]  Thread Local Storage Debug Information
993  [   ]  ELF extensions for thread local storage
994  [   ]  Structure of call frame information
995  [   ]  LSDA for C++ needs to be described.
1016 [   ]  signal sort order
1023 [   ]  LSB 4.0 Sample Implementation Release
1033 [   ]  VTT array contents not described
1034 [   ]  Clarify DWARF 64-bit support
1049 [   ]  LSB Lynx doesn't support UTF-8
1060 [   ]  appbat tcl: more failures on LSB-si then real machine
1068 [   ]  /tset/LSB.os/mprotect/mprotect_P/T.mprotect_P 8 UNREPORTED
1079 [   ]  libchk (classchk.c) unable to deal properly with "new" PP...
1083 [   ]  Need to add TIOCSWINSZ to spec
1084 [   ]  buildenv needs more flexible build mechanism
1097 [   ]  PAM specification needs updating
1100 [   ]  Linus: ia64 pipe test behavior is broken
1133 [   ]  Add symbol versioning for libpam
1142 [   ]  new API in LSB tet emulator to reopen journal
1144 [   ]  appchk warning for questionable libs/interfaces
1145 [   ]  eliminate lsb-build-c++ package
1152 [   ]  2 test cases for gtk_text_tag_new and gtk_tree_view_scrol...
1157 [   ]  Spec out setup-opt.sh
1190 [   ]  Undefined symbols for largefile support
1196 [   ]  RPMTAG_GROUP unclear how to use
1209 [   ]  Update glibc for LSB 4
1211 [   ]  need up-to-date glibc library scan
1223 [   ]  start_daemon should allow setting the user id
1230 [   ]  Uplift X support in lsbsi to xorg 7.0
1231 [   ]  Add in the remaining glibc *_unlocked functions
1235 [   ]  inconsistent database data
1239 [   ]  should lsb-cxx require a separate package dependency?
1243 [   ]  Valuable error messages silently discarded
1245 [   ]  the __getpagesize interface should not be specified for ia64
1249 [   ]  The du utility differences to POSIX are no longer true
1250 [   ]  Internationalized REs differences no longer true
1252 [   ]  POSIX differences for df need re-evaluating
1253 [   ]  waitpid lists differences from POSIX that are no longer r...
1254 [   ]  fuser contains additional differences to POSIX
1255 [   ]  cut POSIX difference no longer true
1257 [   ]  Find differences no longer required
1258 [   ]  bc uses POSIXLY_CORRECT to implement --standard
1259 [   ]  newgrp - wrong synopsis and wrong differences
1267 [   ]  no appbat package touches gthread, gdk_pixbuf_xlib, fontc...
1279 [   ]  Names of init scripts reserved by LSB are not explained a...
1284 [   ]  _GdkScreen may not be forward-compatible
1297 [   ]  __mempcpy: Lack of details in requirements
1314 [   ]  F_SETSIG not in fcntl.h
1317 [   ]  lsb-core-generic has two table 15-1's
1326 [   ]  lsb-scribus plugins don't work
1327 [   ]  memmem: lack of details in requirements
1333 [   ]  __rawmemchr: lack of details in requirements
1340 [   ]  licence files missing from lsb-runtime-test
1351 [   ]  additional (GNU) glob flags not defined
1360 [   ]  The mem_limit() function is ugly and possibly broken
1382 [   ]  lsb-samba for 3.1 does not pass appchk
1384 [   ]  posix_memalign build error with gcc 4.x
1391 [   ]  add async I/O interfaces to LSB
1394 [   ]  add inotify interfaces
1407 [   ]  lsbcc bi-arch support
1409 [   ]  syslog tests incompatible with syslog-ng
1435 [   ]  Add symbol versioning for libpng
1457 [   ]  Eliminate SVID.3 as a reference specification
1459 [   ]  __wcstoll_internal and __wcstoull_internal missing
1462 [   ]  package versioning not described
1475 [   ]  -rpath-link and "soname" links missing
1476 [   ]  /tset/LSB.os/jump/makecontext/T.makecontext 2 UNRESOLVED ...
1481 [   ]  The *inchstr, *inchnstr and *instr functions do not retur...
1488 [   ]  curses.h protection doesn't protect from native curses
1490 [   ]  Need new appchk command line option for some high level s...
1494 [   ]  the defination of AtkObjectClass, AtkImageIface, AtkCompo...
1514 [   ]  OpenGL headers are not const-correct
1519 [   ]  problems building devchk using gcc and system headers
1520 [   ]  gtk library spec references GMemChunk, which has partiall...
1536 [   ]  libstdc++.so.6 {4003,4010}
1537 [   ]  dev env should provide path queries
1542 [   ]  Different types of the 'protocol' parameter in pmap_getpo...
1546 [   ]  missing rpc/xdr interfaces
1551 [   ]  desktop: GtkContainer 65 UNREPORTED
1554 [   ]  Several packaging spec problems
1567 [   ]  test complains about missing llrintl() symbol in libm.so.6
1583 [   ]  need a tjcat command to combine journals
1599 [   ]  programs built on SLES10 build host don't work on Debian
1604 [   ]  Enabling or disabling meta characters does not influence ...
1622 [   ]  Eliminate SUSv2 as a referenced specification
1627 [   ]  (Re)starting a daemon from the post-install script of an ...
1629 [   ]  There is no command to link PAM config files into the PAM...
1632 [   ]  The ripoffline() call above five calls limit returns -1
1633 [   ]  Consider removing gtk_window_*_embedded_xid interfaces as...
1642 [   ]  Specification for mvcur() function is not valid
1644 [   ]  inchnstr() family of functions writes n+1 symbols in th...
1645 [   ]  missing MSG_NOSIGNAL
1647 [   ]  Missing UTF8 functions in X libs
1650 [   ]  vqryvrsn test accesses private fields of Display structur...
1664 [   ]  add ptrace to lsb
1675 [   ]  IP, IPv6, TCP and UDP information incomplete
1714 [   ]  missing libpng interfaces
1716 [   ]  lsbcc should not automatically add -lpthread
1719 [   ]  devchk's mktests generates all cpp tests into one file
1722 [   ]  LSB incorrectly describes usage of the NULL value of the ...
1723 [   ]  Implementation of the interface "g_cache_value_foreach" d...
1726 [   ]  Qt3 headers should be in a subdirectory
1734 [   ]  Uplift qmtest harness to 2.4
1744 [   ]  deprecate interfaces dropped from POSIX.200X
1746 [   ]  add FcFini to LSB
1751 [   ]  add dlinfo to the LSB
1761 [   ]  add libncursesw to the LSB
1773 [   ]  re-examine all "private" glibc interfaces
1777 [   ]  qt3 header package includes system freetype
1781 [   ]  non-POSIX signals and errnos not defined
1788 [   ]  cmdchk needs to honor -M / --module arguments
1789 [   ]  Review CUPS patch in printing test, as well as foomatic-r...
1793 [   ]  desktop books: need separate contents for standalone, boo...
1794 [   ]  need DB support for "modules" in interpreted languages
1795 [   ]  need a way to indicate deprecated for Library, Module
1796 [   ]  Binary compatible modifications in code of libraries writ...
1799 [   ]  const-correctness issues in gtk specs
1800 [   ]  appchk should issue a warning when DT_TEXTREL is detected
1805 [   ]  lsbcc does not handle --whole-archive linker option
1819 [   ]  Update references to the DWARF standard
1827 [   ]  /tset/POSIX.os/procprim/exec/T.execl 30 FAIL on ia64 machine
1845 [   ]  include path warnings are too paranoid
1846 [   ]  make sure 32-bit builds are correct when built on 64-bit ...
1857 [   ]  add dbus to LSB
1858 [   ]  add cairo to LSB
1861 [   ]  desktop-t2c install messages on Ubuntu
1864 [   ]  figure out how to expose trial-use modules
1865 [   ]  optional section flags not handled right
1867 [   ]  xts5 tests fail with SIGPIPE
1875 [   ]  Build environment RPM DB contains errors
1878 [   ]  review sysconf test for _XOPEN_VERSION - use 700, disall...
1879 [   ]  c++ header pkg may conflict with g++ 4.2.x
1881 [   ]  appchk-python explores module deps too deeply
1885 [   ]  Legal frontmatter should not be the same for all books
1889 [   ]  perl tests generate a failure when too many subtest resul...
1893 [   ]  GTK tests report gdk_image_new not being GDK_TYPE_IMAGE
1895 [   ]  GtkToolbar test reports tooltips as 1, should be 0
1901 [   ]  several GtkWindow tests fail with newer libgtk
1902 [   ]  xts5 tests SIGSEGV, SIGABRT on some platforms
1904 [   ]  /tset/ANSI.os/time/mktime/T.mktime.18: test feeds illegal...
1905 [   ]  core tests should warn on missing mounts
1924 [   ]  add libGLU to LSB
1926 [   ]  pthreads (a bit) overspecified
1930 [   ]  Cleanup of undocumented XML interfaces
1931 [   ]  Cleanup of undocumented 'cxa' and 'gxx' symbols
1938 [   ]  Change install directory from lsb-xts5 to xts5
1940 [   ]  Eliminate post install console messages in test packages
1949 [   ]  Freeze specification of fontconfig interfaces
1952 [   ]  Additional C++ allocators
1953 [   ]  LibGroups for Gobject
1954 [   ]  Classes not in lib groups
1955 [   ]  Addition of 'QTextFormat' class to LSB
1957 [   ]  add Xext*Display and Xext*Extension to LSB
1959 [   ]  Eliminate multiple root password prompts in core test
1962 [   ]  libstdc++ uplift for LSB 4.0
1965 [   ]  add multi-version support for lsbcc
1979 [   ]  Absence of several macroses related to the poll() function
1981 [   ]  Add 6 more ALSA symbols
1985 [   ]  mklibspec doesn't take into account headers status
1988 [   ]  Uplift Application Battery