[lsb-discuss] Google Summer of Code

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Mar 11 08:14:09 PDT 2008

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Till Kamppeter wrote:

> Russ, George, please also add a more detailed description of your projects to
> our ideas list:
>
> https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Google_Summer_of_Code
>
> We need your answer ASAP, due to the application deadline at Google.

travelling ... I tried to authenticate last night, but the
credentials did not work as expected, and I could not readily
put my fingers on a self-service password reset link

Looking at the task, and after the reaction (highly polarized
with not much concensus) to Jeff's discussion on end-user
space installs, on several package manager mailing lists, I am
left with the strong feeling that the proposal to work on
alien to 'grok' RPM more completely is not in a critical path
on what needs to occur.

Seperately, the scope of the needed transform is not narrowly
defined enough to be something a 'summer of code' intern and I
could achieve worthwhile results on in a summer, or perhaps
even a year. (I am also pretty unclear that a stable target
can be documented, as it has changed within RH's rpm
implementation over time; jbj's tine supports all variants
with flags, but at the expense of a decade of implementing it;
I am pretty sure only he knows the internals of all the edge
case behaviours, as I see RH ripping out parts I know were
added at RH engineering/product management request in years
past)

  I suggest it not be proposed.  I am disheartened.

-- Russ herrold