[lsb-discuss] Joint session of LSB and OpenPrinting on the LF Summit

Theodore Tso tytso at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 19 08:46:50 PDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 01:40:45PM +0100, Klaus Singvogel wrote:
> Till Kamppeter wrote:
> > Is LSB 4.0 (due by the end of this year) not based on the SLES version
> > which comes after 10?
>
> As far as I know, this will be our intention.

LSB 4.0 is going to be designed so that the latest versions of RHEL 5
and SLES 10 can certify.  The reason for that is that ISV's probably
aren't going to be interested moving their products to the next round
of enterprise products until customers uptake RHEL 6/SLES 11, and that
generally doesn't happen until the first service pack comes out.
Hence, ISV's probably aren't going to be interested in targetting an
LSB that is targetting SLES 11 until late 2009.

So in order to give us more of an opportunity to release something
which ISV's can try out and comment on, the current plan is that LSB
4.0 will be released at the end of 2008 which will target RHEL 5/SLES
10 (so we will uplift to glibc 2.4, which will cause us to drop
support for RHEL4 / SLES 9) and then LSB 4.1 or LSB 5.0 will be
probably be released at the end of 2009 to target RHEL6/SLES 11.

That would actually be about the time that ISV's would start thinking
about targetting their products to use RHEL 6 / SLES 11, I would
think.

Regards,

						- Ted