[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-03-19

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Wed Mar 19 09:13:08 PDT 2008

Attendees: Sam, Jeff, Ted, Stew, Dan, Marvin, Alexey, Robert.

Jeff: Low attendance.  Sam: may be because of the conf call bridge;
should check.  Jeff observes that a few people are joining w/o the call
getting notification.

SI.  Marvin was able to get builds on devel working on all archs except
ppc64.  Sam's fixes so far haven't caused any problems.  Now need to add
the rest of the 3.2 stuff.  Sam: no list, is working on one.  Ted:
ProjectPlan32.  Alexey: can use the Navigator for that as well.  Jeff:
Marvin's time?  Marvin: will work on it this week w/o official support;
if it takes more than a week, will revisit.

Jeff: 4.0 SI, domu set up.  Ted: power?  Marvin: pretty beefy, but the
more we put on it, the more loaded it gets.  Ted: check with Antonio.
Thinking about getting a 4-way x86_64 box for this sort of thing, still
working on newer Power box.  Markus looking to get a bigger ia64 box.

Tools.  Jeff: what does it mean to improve our tools?  What tasks do
these involve?   Ted: sent an email to ISPRAS, should send to the list.
  Packaging: packaging the chroot SI w/ packages, such that one could
easily launch the SI via a icon, via ssh to a special sshd, or
something.  Make lsbcc work in a slightly more relaxed mode for
generating an app that ran on multiple distros.  Improve ATK Manager;
Cal can look at filling in the notes.  What additional things could we
do for the tools?  Robert: see presentation I gave at F2F.  Two areas:
building an LSB compliant app, and testing it.  Building: automation.
Must make it as easy to automate as possible.  What are the requirements
from an IT perspective of setting that up?  SI that "just runs" would be
nirvana.  Second best: install these packages, and that will give you a
devel system.  Chroot not easy.  Ted: idea not just chroot, but ways to
use the chroot that are easy, beyond just "chroot to here".  Bind mounts
to home dirs, etc.  Robert: depends on the setup.  Ted: what setups have
you used?  Robert: triggers in version control are popular.  That's
where the chroot hooks would have to work.  Ted: command-line way to
launch the chroot and start the build is what you mean?  Robert: yes.
Multiple ways to get in are good; ssh would be useful too.  Developer on
desktop is not the only use case to think about.  Back-end build server
is also a very important tool.  Ted: what tools do we need in the build
env besides the base SI plus the LSB tools plus a compiler?  (awk, sed,
etc.)  Robert: easy way to install the chroot, add tools (scons, ant,
etc.), and build is what we need.  Ted: need to think; some stuff may
not be LSB-compliant.  Should think about what tools we provide by
default.  Robert: yes, it's hard to figure out, may be hard to do.  Ted:
incremental approach, start with 1.0 and iterate.  Robert: lsbcc should
produce results the developer can depend on; results with lsbcc should
match results with SI/buildenv build.  Ted: maybe the buildenv is the
only supported way to do builds; is that useful?  Is the buildenv too
much?  Robert: resources not an issue.

Ted: ATK?  Robert: got an email from Alexey; request to test the latest
ATK, not gotten to it yet.  Wants to point ATK to the entry point for
the app, press "go", get a complete report.  Alexey: we believe the
current ATK Manager should do this.  Experimental ATK Manager available
that does not require root access to install/use.  Two reports: journal
analysis, dependency report; working on better presentation of this
information.  Welcome any ideas.  Robert: did you send me the
experimental version or the public version?  Alexey: sent released
version; experimental version available from the wiki.  Robert: send me
experimental stuff, will test as time constraints allow, will try to
turn around within a week.

Ted: dynamic linker proposal.  Jeff: quick summary.  Robert: how?  Ted:
at early stage of executable (crti.o, init section), code fragment that
checks for ld-lsb.so and if it's a symlink.  If ld-lsb is different from
standard dynamic linker, re-exec with the LSB interpreter.  Robert: ISVs
need to be able to support customers; don't have the ability to dictate.
  Ted: Enabling building image on multiple distros is a key feature for
mid-tier ISVs.  Robert: reasonable to check at install time for LSB.
Relaxed mode may not be necessary.  Jeff: relaxed mode vs. dynamic
linker?  Ted: relaxed mode means relaxed attitude regarding standard
libs.  Robert: linker thing is a definite win, may not be necessary in
the long run.  Network installs may have an issue with ensuring a LSB
environment.

Ted: received only a few bugzilla ballots; can we get those in by the
end of the week?

Ted: will visit Indianapolis on 27th; should set up a meeting.