[lsb-discuss] About LSB Manageability activities

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Mon Mar 24 06:38:29 PDT 2008

>Hi, all.
>I am a newbie on LSB and interested in both LSB and System Management.

Welcome!

>During I surf around LSB wiki, I found followings;
>*	LSB Manageability module
>	*	among category B of "LSB Roadmap",
>	*	http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/RoadMap

The roadmap page is out of date.

>	*	Candidates for Manageability : OpenLDAP, SNMP, NIS,
rendezvous, zeroconf
>	*	"LSB-Futures Tracker - candidates",
>	*
http://www.linux-foundation.org/futures/candidates/all-groupstatusname.h
tml

the LSB Futures tracker is no longer in use, except for
historical information.  I think some sort of a replacement
is in the works.

>But some documents are out-of-date, for example, the latter was updated
on June 2006.

>Thus, I'd like to know what are the current activities
>or status of LSB manageability module, and what are
>reasons or whether any working group or member has plan
>to continue to do, if it is now inactive.

As you've noticed, there are out of date documents on
the website.  The most current information on what we're
working on, unfortunately with quite a short-term horizon:

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/ProjectPlan40
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LSB:PM

There's not really anything happening currently in
the manageability area.  At the moment the focus is really
on making the LSB easier for application developers to
use.  If people wanted to step up and build a work
group to focus on the manageability area, that would
be fine.   I don't personally feel like "manageability"
as a generic area is quite ready for LSB, but from the
specific areas you've pulled out of the old Futures
tracker, there are several that might be (and that is
why they went onto that list in the first place).