[lsb-discuss] LSB 4.0 and printing

Theodore Tso tytso at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 26 16:28:09 PDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 03:57:18PM -0700, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:

> > Well, one option which we can certainly do is to do the work that
> > requires the newer CUPS and newer GtK libraries as a trial-use module.
> > This would allow us to do the work, and make sure the specs are in
> > shape for LSB 4.1/LSB 5.0 (whatever we end up calling it).
>
> Not to be a wet blanket, but I believe our infrastructure at the
> moment would make it quite difficult to carry two versions of
> the same component at the same time.  Externally it may be clear
> that one is mainline/required and one is future-looking/trial-use,
> but internally I have no idea how we would represent that.  I'm
> asking some questions about similar (but not quite as complicated)
> issues for a different reason, but if this is something we
> intend to do we need to identify it as a task - one I personally
> believe is a rather large one - and prepare to support
> implementing it with sufficient staffing. This is not something
> that has been considered to date.

So it would be difficult even if the newer (trial-use) version of the
component is a strict superset of the mandatory component?

I can understand that if an interface has actually *changed* between
the two versions, life would be hard; but if it's just a matter of
marking some interface as trial-use, and others as required, would
that still be hard?

						- Ted