[lsb-discuss] LSB 4.0 and printing

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Mar 27 06:42:10 PDT 2008

Hello,

On Mar 26 22:34 Till Kamppeter wrote (shortened):
> What can be added without problems is SANE

"SANE Standard Version 1.0" (the so called "SANE1")
to be precise, see
http://www.sane-project.org/docs.html

I would very much appreciate it if SANE1 was LSB standard.

As Till already mentioned:
Without a scanning standard in LSB (which is compatible
with the LSB printing standard), there is just no support
for all-in-one devices in LSB.

But I should mention that there is since a long time
the discussion on sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
how to move forward with SANE.

Unfortunately - as far as I understand it - the planned
SANE2 API would not be backward-compatible with SANE1
which is a main reason - as far as I understand it - why
there is no real progress how to move forward with SANE.

Perhaps the experience of LSB people with API upgrades
could even help the SANE developers to find a solution
how to move forward with SANE.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex