[lsb-discuss] LSB 4.0 and printing

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Mar 27 07:44:03 PDT 2008

Hello,

On Mar 27 15:19 Klaus Singvogel wrote (shortened):
> Johannes Meixner wrote:
> > I would very much appreciate it if SANE1 was LSB standard.
>
> Still asking myself, why this package should become mandatory
> for all kind of machines then, especially why for servers?

Good question!

The same question applies for printing:

Should printing be mandatory for all kind of machines
in particular for servers which never submit a print job
(e.g. a plain mail server or a plain web server)?

Or should perhaps the ability to submit a print job
be mandatory for all kind of machines (i.e. there is
at least a "lpr" command to submit a print job regardless
how exactly this works, e.g. a standalone program/script
without libcups) but not the ability to receive a print job
and/or to filter a print job (Ghostscript, foomatic-rip, ...)?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex