[lsb-discuss] [Printing-architecture] LSB 4.0 and printing

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Mar 27 08:16:05 PDT 2008

Hello,

On Mar 27 07:49 Wichmann, Mats D wrote (shortened):
> ... distributions tend to certify to the "whole LSB"
> This is always a reasonable question to ask for every
> new feature:  is it appropriate for everyone ("core")
> or should it be in an extended module that maybe doesn't
> apply to all systems.  And then, if you partition things
> that way, what does it mean to applications who want
> to depend on it?

Perhaps a silly "RTFM" question but I like to understand
what the above exactly means:

I assume when a whole distribution is certified to
the "whole LSB", this means that the distribution
provides packages to make an installed system
compatible to the "whole LSB".

But I assume that this does not mean that any installed system
of this distribution must be compatible to the "whole LSB".

E.g. a user can install only what is needed for a plain
mail server or a plain web server and omit all printing
and scanning stuff so that his installed server system
is not compatible to the "whole LSB".

But when he likes to install a third-party LSB compatible
application which requires for example printing or
scanning stuff, then this is easily possible because
his distribution is compatible to the "whole LSB".
Of course he needs to install additional packages
from his distribution (just what his third-party
application requires).

Am I right?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner