[lsb-discuss] "Standardizing" 7 LSB HW architecture names

Vladimir Rubanov vrub at ispras.ru
Fri Mar 28 06:42:36 PDT 2008

Colleagues,

when working on LSB in many places we need to indicate names of HW
architectures (the 7 ones LSB currently supports). And there is
inconsistency in exact naming of the architectures, which sometimes even
causes bugs (as in the recent case of ATK problem found by Mats). We would
like to discuss and at least internally "standardize" architecture names.
Meanwhile, it cannot be done absolutely uniformly due to some historical
conventions in at least rpm and deb naming. But having them more correlated
is possible. We identified 4 usage types that might need to have differences
in naming of the same architectures:

1.	User Level - Navigator, web site, specification, i.e. various human
readable texts.
2.	Internal Files - suffixes in various intermediate file names that
LSB tools produce.
3.	rpm - suffixes in rpms of various LSB deliverables.
4.	deb - suffixes in debs of various LSB deliverables.

And we propose the following names for these types:

User Level

Internal Files

rpm

deb

x86

x86

i486

i486

x86-64

x86-64

x86_64

x86-64

IA64

ia64

ia64

ia64

PPC32

ppc32

ppc

ppc

PPC64

ppc64

ppc64

ppc64

S390

s390

s390

s390

S390X

s390x

s390x

s390x

The rpm/deb naming is historically established and we do not touch it at
all. The most frequent inconsistency in other areas currently found is using
IA32 vs. x86 and AMD64 vs. x86-64 vs. x86_64 multiplied by low/upper case
variations. We agreed yet almost year ago (the talk initiated by Marc Miller
at the first LF Collab Summit) that it is better to have generic names. Mats
recently mentioned in a comment in bugzilla that LSB 4.0 (as a major
version) might be a good candidate to make it consistent in the
specification. And I just want to advance this issue to make the
"consistency scope" broader.

Do the proposed names look OK to members of this list?

Thanks,

Vladimir.