[lsb-discuss] What does LSB certification mean...WasRE: [Printing-architecture] LSB 4.0 and printing

Scott Baeder baeder at cadence.com
Fri Mar 28 07:52:56 PDT 2008

> Till Kamppeter wrote:
> > One question: Is libgtk2 currently required on servers?
>
> Good question, hard to answer.
>
> It might help, why and from which application this requirement
> came from. Lets decide then.

Now we are getting to the core question here, and that is what does it
mean for a distro to be certified, and also WHY an interface from the
application to the "what is installed" DB is important.

Just becasue the distro as a WHOLE is "certified", there is really no
guarantee that all the parts of a given distro are installed.  Does that
invalidate the certification?  I wouldn't think it should, but that is a
question to resolve.

If the whole point of certification and LSB in general is to make some
compatibility statements so that ISV's can "test once, run multiple",
then we need a way to know what capabilities are present.

I'm not sure where this leads (probably further into a big, deep dark
pit), but maybe this can be a part of the larger discussions next
week...

Anyway, just my two cents observation.

Scott

Scott Baeder                 MA Office 978-262-6299
Cadence Design Systems       CA Office 408-944-7785
270 Billerica Rd             Cell      508-331-1530
Chemlsford, MA 01824