[lsb-discuss] LSB 3.2 Compliance Report: Sun JRE 6 (update 5) on x86

Joseph Kowalski jek3 at sun.com
Thu May 1 12:56:45 PDT 2008

I missed one little point here...

> Alexey Khoroshilov wrote
> The action items for the JRE development team are as follows:
>
> *AI-2-6.* Change installation location from /usr/java/jre1.6.0_05 to
> /opt/[sun|java]/jre1.6.0_05 according to FHS.
Uh, no,...

There are two resolutions to this.

  -   If Java becomes a specified part of the LSB, then it belongs
somewhere under /usr, not /opt (and certainly not in a directory named
"sun").  Its not an optional component, right?

  -  If Java does not become a specified part of the LSB, then it stays
exactly where it is.  Sun Java selected the /usr/java installation point
long before the FSH existed.  It is not appropriate to incompatibly
change this due to a guideline (not a requirement) in the FSH - yes, we
(Sun) believe this strongly in compatibility.  (Actually, by my reading
of the FSH, we are compliant,... its the nuances of shall vs. should.)

- jek3